If you have a dog ... PLEASE read
this and send it on. If you don't
have a dog, please pass along
to friends who do.
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , OH
This week I had the first case in history of
raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My
patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male
neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of
raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30
PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting,
diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on
Wednesday but the owner didn't call my
emergency service until7AM.
I had heard somewhere about raisins and
grapes causing acute Renal failure but
hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject.
We had her bring the dog in immediately.
In the mean time, I called the ER service at
MedVet, and the doctor there was like me
had heard something about it, but.......
Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National
Animal Poison Control Center and they said
to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance
and watch the kidney values for the next
The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level)
was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and
creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of
normal). Both are monitors of kidney
function in the bloodstream. We placed an
IV catheter and started the fluids.
Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the
BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine
production after a liter of fluids.... He continued
to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.
This is a very sad case - great dog, great
owners who had no idea raisins could be a
toxin. Please alert everyone you know who
has a dog of this very serious risk.
Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or
grapes could be toxic. Many people I know
give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
including our ex-handler's. Any exposure
should give rise to immediate concern.
Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia
nuts can be fatal, too.
Even if you don't have a dog, you might
have friends who do. This is worth passing
on to them.